Wednesday 20 March 2013

Reseach- style guides

This was a rare opportunity to see first hand style guides and publications for systems. The one that I have been most inspired by is the RAC styleguide book produced by Rupert Bassett (and other designers). A style guide is a new concept to me, I love the idea that a whole system of design is located in one source. Also, the object that is describing the system becomes a piece of design in itself which is such a fascinating concept. I think that a styleguide like the RAC book is very over the top and rather self indulgent but it is a fantastic object and it would inspire the designer using the system to want to create the design.



The RAC book utalises a fairly complex grid system of 32 modules. This allows for a great variety of layout possibilities. I love the way every single page has been carefully considered in its construction so that a visually appealing asymmetric layout is created. Above the colour scheme is outlined. I also like the detail and thoroughness of the document. I want to create a style guide for my Typography Workshop design system and I think that if I am to do it convincingly and with conviction then it needs to be with the same thoroughness and attention to detail. Type is fairly small and fits into one column width. Therefore, the designer has more more flexibility in layout possibility. The type is positioned in the top row of modules. 



The book goes into great detail about text positioning, leading, type sizes, alignment  grid sizes, module and gutter sizes, the typeface used, colour schemes, every single element of design has been considered and explained in a clear and precise way. 


The grids are extremely complex devises, particularly when you start illustrating the baseline grid on the columns and rows. However, the very clever way that the grid is conveyed breaks down the information and it is not only simple to follow and clearly explained, it is also visually a nice object. This is a difficult challenge but it is something that I want to explore with my Typography Workshop style guide design. 




There is also sections in the RAC style guide of examples of finalized literature so that the viewer can see what the layout looks like as a finished design. Every single element on each page works with the grid system that has been constructed. Before I create a styleguide, I need to develop a system that works consistently across different formats. Only when I have a finalised set of literature designed can I think about explaining the system through a style guide. 





This poster is another example of a style guide, this time produced by Otl Aicher for the 1962 Munich olympics. This is a very rare object and it was great to see it in real life. It is a seven coloured screen print. I think that it is stunning in design and layout. It is a perfect example of a beautifully designed system that works consistently across all media and platforms. The final poster is so beautiful in design and utalises a fairly complex grid system. Each stage is clearly explained and the order of reading is top to bottom. Colour scheme, typography, the grid system, poster design, logo design, symbols and other formats of design are all explained in one poster. Perhaps this is a way that I could approach my Typography Workshop style guide? Perhaps I could design it so that all of the information is on one poster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment