Monday 1 April 2013

A3 literature design


I have come up with a way to accurately translate my grid onto a3 and a2 and a5. For an enlargement of a4-a3, all that I need to do is turn the grid on its side and multiply it by two, thus creating a 14 by 20 grid structure, and re-calculate the margins so they take up the extra distance. This will create a more complicated grid structure with smaller modules, however the modules will be the same size and so will the gutter. So, my new calculations for the a3 paper setup are as follows:

A3 paper size- 297mm by 420mm

For the left and right margin


gutter width-
13 x 4 = 52mm
module width-
14 x 14 = 196mm

52 + 196 = 248

297-248 = 49

49/2 = 24.5

So my inside and outside margin for a3 literature is 24.5mm


For the top and bottom margin-

gutter width-
19 x 4 = 76
module width-
20 x 14 = 280

280 + 76 = 356

420 - 356 = 64

64/2 = 32

So. My top and bottom margin is 32mm. This seems a bit excessive. I am going to try the 32mm margin top and bottom, it may give a nice aesemetric layout when designing. However, I could easily add another row into the grid structure and reduce the margin, thus allowing a larger grid to work in. This may upset consistancy in design of a4 to a3 layout however. 


This is the grid structure for my A3 literature. I think that it is interesting in that the grid is much more complex, however I have been thinking. I am not actually sure that there is a place in my Typography Workshop design for A3 literature. I like the concept of A4 literature because it is cheap to produce and is a format that could be placed onto door windows and generally scattered across notice boards and throughout university. However, A3 is an awkward size. It is too large to put onto some of the notice boards as they have to accomodate other information too, but it is too small to make enough impact to be an effective stand-alone poster to advertise Typography Workshop information. Therefore, I am going to drop the A3 literature idea and instead create A2 literature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment