Wednesday 10 April 2013

New A2 Experimentation

I have been experimenting with layout for my A2 posters. I need to come up with a way of consistently using the text in the A2 literature. I think that the grid is too complex to simply suggest that the text is used to form an asymmetric composition like I have done for the A4 literature.


This is the image placed behind the gridded structure before I start to remove areas of the image. I think that this is going to work really effectively. I can already see that the image is going to be more interesting because of the more complex grid structure. 


This is my first attempt at removing areas of the grid. I actually really like it, I think it works effectively. The areas of removed grid make a very interesting complicated and asymmetric pattern. The black and white imagery works well with the colour scheme of the squares. I also like the size of the typography workshop logo. It is rather small because it fits with the size of the gutter in the A2 grid but I do not mind this. I think that it suits the overall composition more and creates a more sophisticated poster, but I will try and experiment with a larger logotype. 


This is the larger logotype. It is doubled in size. I do not like it at all, I think that it looks a little rediculous and it no longer fits in the gutter of the grid which means that I have broken one of my rules that I have created for this work. Also, I think that the type needs work. I was trying to follow the vertical line through the composition but I think that it is now conflicting with the rather complex and delicatate image to the right. I think that because this image is so complex then the type should be simple and horizontal. I need to find a way to make the type consistent across all of the posters. I am going to keep experimenting with layout for type and also revert the tw logo back to its original size that fits into the grid. 


Again, here I am really struggling with trying to create type that is pleasing on the eye, creates an aysemmetric layout and is also easy to read. The way that the type cuts into the image here looks very awkward. Perhaps I should create type that fits into a containing box? I need to somehow make the type simpler as it is getting lost here in the composition. 


This is much better, I think that I am approaching a solution here. The containing box will hold all of the type that needs to be displayed on the poster. This has made the overall composition a lot tighter. I like the way that the vertical image has been broken by this strong horizontal rectangle. Now, the text does not look randomly placed. It is a much more powerful use of type and the viewer now has an immediate place to look. I quite like the way that the image is viewed after the text is read. 


I am experimenting with layout for type. I need somewhere for the logo to go. At the minute, its position in the bottom left hand corner is effecting the overall balance of the composition. It looks completely out of place. 

This is a much better placement of the logo. I have now had another thought though. Perhaps It is a bit of an overkill on weight to have the containing text box in one of the pantone colours? I am going to try creating a containing text rectangle that is white in colour and see how this effects the overall feel of the poster. 

This is much better. The text area feels lighter and generally the composition is more aesthetically pleasing. There is now more emphasis on the interesting image and the logo looks more comfortable on a white background (Im going to make a white background  a requirement for my style guide for all typography workshop design). 

I have had a thought however, I have 5 pantone colours in the TW range of colours. I could make 5 coloured grids, each with a different pantone colour as a primary focus. I would still use all of the colours in the grid, but I would use one of them more heavily than the others. This should separate the coloured grids for each poster. Then, these could be used to create posters in a series. This way, all of the posters in the series are slightly different in overall colour. I think this would be a really effective idea and I am going to try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment