Friday 26 April 2013

The styleguide

I have decided that I am going to produce the style guide in A4 format. This means that I can use my grid to construct the content of the style guide. It would be great if I could show that I have used the grid in the style guide, perhaps I could print a gloss layer over all of the pages like in the RAC style guide book?  I am not going to go detail about every page that I am going to develop in the style guide, I hope that it should be self explanatory. However, I am going to explain some of the layout decisions that I am going to make.


This is the initial concept for the layout of one of the pages of my style guide book. I am using 4 modules of width for text and 5 modules of width for images. 

I really like the idea of having two columns dividing the information. Each column is 5 modules in width. They are divided by one gutter. When the images are smaller  than 5 modules in width, then I align them to the left of the modules in these columns. If the image is unavoidably larger than 5 modules in width then it is to be placed in the left column so that it runs over into the right column. Never will I have an image which has a left side which does not align with the left side of one of these columns. 
Text boxes are 4 modules in width. I was considering making them 5 modules in width to be consistent with the width of the containing information columns I have just described, however I want to use 8 point type for the content information and with a text box width of 5 modules there is too many words per line. I have oped for, on average, 7 words per line which Brockmann suggests is the optimum amount for ease of viewing and aesthetic pleasantness. 
I really like the small coloured pattern that I have created in the lower right corner of the page. I will create a coloured pattern in the bottom right hand corner of all of the pages of the Typography Workshop Style guide, each will be different in appearance.



This is my initial idea for breaking down all of the information into the Typography Workshop Styleguide into sections. A coloured square indicates the section that you are viewing. A different colour breaks the content down into A2 literature, A4 literature etc. I need to simplify this. I do not like the way that I have written how many pages are in the document on every single page. Also, when I Approach page 100, the numbers are going to extend into the 'Primary Colours' text title area. I can do one of two things. I can move the primary colours text over into the next module on every page, or I can get rid of the /117. I think the latter idea is the best. /117 is unnecessary information. 


This is my idea for the contents page of my document. It is a fairly extensive document consisting of 117 pages. I think that I need to simplify this. I need to bring the A4 literature into the right hand column so that it is with the other litarature formats. I also need to simplify my page numbering system .







No comments:

Post a Comment